Monday 28 March 2011

Stir-fry!

More food already!

As I don't eat microwave ready meals (not that many of them are vegan anyway!), my closest equivalent to a 'lazy' meal is probably a stir-fry!
It's quick and simple, but multicoloured and nutritious!

Today, I made a mixed vegetable stirfry, with organic marinated tofu and water chestnuts, and made it extra special with purple sprouting broccoli.
The trick to an awesome stirfry, or fried rice/noodle dish, is definitely toasted sesame oil. It makes all the difference! Another neat little trick I figured out is, along with plenty of FRESH garlic and ginger, a little ground cinnamon adds a pleasant sweetness to a stirfry. But when I say a little, I mean a little - a pinch will do!



I served it with quinoa.
If you haven't tried Quinoa, you must! It's a grain-like seed around the same size as couscous, that can be used in much the same way, except that it has a nice crunch to it. It's also a complete protein, providing a nice, balanced, range of essential amino acids.
It's easy to cook too - just boil it in water with a stock cube or two, depending on how much you're cooking.


I then had an equally lazy desert - Cantaloupe melon, with mixed raisins.



Simple food, but good food!

Jen x

1 comment: