Tuesday 29 March 2011

Kayanas!

So, today's offering is Kayanas - This is a traditional Greek dish of scrambled eggs and tomatoes, cooked in olive oil, with herbs and seasonings.

Obviously, I've made a key change to this dish by replacing the eggs with scrambled tofu, and if you make it well, people genuinely don't notice the difference. This is tried and tested!

It's best to use firm Silken tofu for this, as it has a creamier texture than other types of tofu. I just mash it up and add salt, pepper and plenty of turmeric, so it even looks like egg (kinda)!


They key to making this really good is to use a good quality olive oil (and it must be olive oil!)
Another tip to making this perfect is to use a really good quality oregano, and copious amounts of it! I use the kind that you buy by the bunch, instead of in a jar. It was actually brought back from Greece when my parents went there, but you can buy it like that from a lot of Greek and Turkish food stores.

Essentially, I then fry the tofu, along with chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, finely chopped garlic, and lots of oregano.


I serve it on some nice brown toast, with a little margarine, and a sprig of basil.



I'm crap with recipes as I hardly ever use them. I essentially just guess how to make things & throw-in an amount that looks right! But let me know if you ever want me to try and make a recipe for one of these, or give advice on how to make it and i'll gladly oblige :)

Jen x

No comments:

Post a Comment